Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
66th Annual Potomac Downriver Race 2021
Saturday, June 5, 2021, 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM
Great Falls C&O Canal NHP (On water start bottom of Rocky Island.)
11710 MacArthur Blvd
Potomac, MD 20854
Payment In Full In Advance Only
All on-water participants must wear a PFD (lifejacket), a helmet, and appropriate footwear. Bring water. This is a 7.5 mile race with class II/III whitewater. It is not suitable for beginners.
Registration cancellations will be accepted until Friday, June 4, 2021 at 5:00 PM
The CCA Downriver Race has been held every year since 1956,
making it the Nation’s oldest consecutively run canoe race
BEFORE RACE DAY:
- If you aren’t a CCA member, this is a great time join and support your local kayak and canoe club. Join CCA Membership is only $20 per year.
- Register online by Friday 6/4 at 5 PM and fill out the online ACA Waiver. You must register online and pay with your credit card before race day. Tandem teams must register and pay separately, and list their partner.
ON RACE DAY:
- Check the water level at Potomac.Surf or USGS Little Falls
- All racers must wear PFDs (life jackets) and helmets. All boats must have flotation; no exceptions.
- Check in from 8:30-9:30 AM to receive race bib and instructions
- Check in at Great Falls MD park if water levels below 5 ft
- Check in at Anglers Beach if water levels 5 ft to below 6 ft
- Mass start at 10 AM sharp
- Water level below 5 ft, start on water at Rocky Island cove
- Water level at 5 ft to below 6 ft, start at Anglers Beach
- Water level at 6 ft and above, race postponed to next Saturday, June 12th
- Finish at Sycamore Island by 1 PM
- Picnic on-site from 12-2 PM, Awards at 1:30 PM
By participating, you are agreeing to be responsible for your own safety, which includes being familiar with the race course, and well within your abilities to paddle it at the race-day levels and conditions. This is not an event for beginners
VOLUNTEER: If you want to participate, but not race, then please consider volunteering:
- Help with race start, carrying boats and gear for racers and organizers, 8-10 AM
- Help with race finish, carrying boats and gear for racers and organizers, 11 AM to 3 PM
- Help with on water safety. Must have own kayak/canoe and safety gear, and be confident with the race section of the river and participating in swiftwater safety and rescue, 9 AM to 1 PM
For assistance, contact Jennifer Sass, Tel: 301-752-8069, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By participating in this race in any capacity, including as a racer or volunteer, you are agreeing to fully comply with all orders and guidance issued by the Maryland Governor’s office relevant to the covid-19 pandemic at the time of the race.